February Update

It’s been a busy few months for SHM!

We’ve more or less completed our renovation works at the Boileroom and our members have started coming along regularly, working on their many projects. Our fancy laser cutter is installed, working and has already been producing a variety of projects. The laser cutter is a very nice addition, as (for those who don’t know) it is much faster at creating a variety of items – and from cheap materials, too.

a case for an EMF TILDA badge

Milling Machine

We’re looking to expand the machinery available to our members – one new potential addition is a milling machine, for creating all sorts of shapes out of materials like aluminium and steel. This is open to pledges, so if that’s something you’re interested in using or you’d like to know more, please visit the forum thread for more information.



We now have a Slack channel! This is a chat room where a lot of our members gather to discuss projects and generally be social. There’s quite a few of us there in the daytime and evenings – coming to say hello is quite easy 🙂


Next week will be our AGM, currently limited to our members. If you’re a member and want to come voice your opinions and help shape the Makerspace, do feel free to pop along – details are on the member’s area of our forum.

If you’re not a member though, do please feel free to pop along to one of our Open Sessions! These run every Tuesday and Friday from around 18:00 onwards. We often have all sorts going on, so if it’s a flying visit for a chat, you want to come see what a Makerspace is all about, or you have a project idea – feel free to pop along. We advertise our open sessions on our Forum, which is also bustling with lots more information on the ‘space.

Hope to see you soon!



Plans for Friday session 18/11

I don’t think there are any grand plans today, but we will be open for all comers.

I’ll be checking the new laser setup and hopefully doing some test jobs, and no doubt playing with some OpenTRV stuff along the way.

Keep an eye on the comments to see what others are up to!

I’ll be there from about 6pm to open up for those without an access-card.


Space Update

We’ve made fantastic progress with building our space over the last couple of weeks. The benches are now in, shelving is going up, and everything is really taking place.

There are only a few items left for us to do, but it hasn’t stopped some of our members making already – we’ve had various personal projects turn up, as well as work being done to get our 3D printer and laser cutter up and running.

We also have a space webcam (featuring motion detection too!) for a bit of added security, and I hope to write a script that will allow us to create timelapse videos of our open sessions – which don’t forget, are every Tuesday and Friday. Do check the forum if you’re planning to pop in, as we update the ‘Open Sessions’ category when a keyholder is in the space.




Plans for Friday session 07/10

We’re still in the process of refurbishing our new space, so for now we’re sticking to just Friday for our open nights. However, due to the somewhat chaotic state of the space at the moment (still some construction going on), we’re limiting it to members only for now.…

I’ll be there to open up at about 18:00.


Plans for Friday session 30/09

Just a little update for this week’s session. We’re still in the process of refurbishing our new space, so for now we’re sticking to just Friday for our open nights. However, due to the somewhat chaotic state of the space at the moment (more hammers’n’saws than arduinos’n’laptops), we’re limiting it to members only for now. Obviously if you’re in the area you’re welcome to pop by and have a look, but I wouldn’t expect any fancy makerspacey stuff going on just yet.

Watch this space…



Guildford WI Autumn Fair

WI Autumn Fair

Just a quick heads-up that we will be attending the Guildford WI Autumn Fair on the 24th of Sept. (Details here)

Come and see our 3D printing demonstration and peruse our selection of gift ideas and grab a cup of tea and scrumptious slice of cake at the same time!


September Schedule

This is a bit comically late, but our recent move to the Boileroom has been rather distracting 🙂

  • Friday 2nd September – 18:30 at Games Galaxy
  • Friday 9th September – 18:30 at Games Galaxy
  • Friday 16th September – Cancelled due to refurbishment
  • Friday 23rd September – 18:30 at The Boileroom!
  • Friday 30th September – 18:30 at The Boileroom

Once we’re settled a bit and the access systems are all in place, we’ll be implementing some more open sessions, and wider access for members at any time.

The Boileroom


August schedule

August is looking like another interesting month. A number of members are going to be attending EMF camp, and plans for a permanent space are advancing!

There’s one Friday evening session that isn’t happening. Here’s the schedule for August and a sneak peek at the sign going to EMF camp:

  • Friday 5th August (18:30)
  • Friday 12th August – CANCELLED
  • Friday 19th August (18:30)
  • Friday 26th August (18:30)

MyStorm makes the news

A picture of Ken Boak and Alan Wood

Surrey & Hampshire Makerspace member Alan Wood, and Ken Boak have a project on the tech news site Hackaday‘s front page!

The industrious pair have been hard at work designing and prototyping a new board called MyStorm:

A prototype MyStorm board

MyStorm is a low cost development platform for digital devices based on FPGA (Field-Programmable Gate Array) and ARM technology.

The MyStorm project should provide a great basis for makers to develop some rather advanced and interesting projects.

You can find out more about the board in this blog post by Ken.